Many organizations and countries around the world are seeking to find new sustainable ways to produce food due to the World Food Crisis.
Hydroponic and aquaponic systems have plenty of benefits for developing countries for example:
- Growing food without any fertile soil
- Saving water & fertilizer thanks to recycled cycles
- Growing vegetables, herbs, fruits with high nutritional value
- Cultivation of fishes rich in proteins
Aquaponics and hydroponics are attractive tools thanks to these advantages. Hydroponics is actually a very old method but it’s only recently that various systems have been developed particularly for urban farming.
However, aquaponics and hydroponics are complex systems. It requires prior knowledge and equipment that might not be available in developing countries. In that case, it makes the task of setting up a system more complicated, however not impossible.
When we are creating a project in developing countries we emphasis on:
- Needs of local population – large rural systems or small home systems
- Operating system – keep techniques simple
- Sustainability – teach them and give them the knowledge to let them grow by themselves
- Ecology – relying on unlimited resources and alternative energy and fertilizer such as biogas systems and solar panels
Few analyses allow us to run sustainable and successful projects without professionals that need to stay on site for a long period of time.
Since 2010 our team has planned and built dozens of hydroponic and aquaponic systems in developing countries such as in Ethiopia, Ghana, Cambodia, China, Jordan, territories under control of Palestinian Authority, and others. When we have worked on these projects we were usually involved with several large organizations:
- WFP UN-FAO
- Non-profit organizations such as the IPCRI, Osprey, Byspoke, Engineers without borders, etc.
As part of the desire to develop a business based on social and environmental principles we have published several professional manuals, free of charge, that give you guidelines to build either hydroponics or aquaponics.
We are looking for worldwide commitments to spread aquaponic and hydroponic methods around the world.Contact us
Do you want to build a system by yourself? We are here for you! On the DIY page there are guidelines to set up and run a full system. Guidelines are free of charge.
“] Read more>>
Aquaponic and hydroponic workshops are suitable for beginners or advanced home growers. During the workshop you will get all the information you need, including manuals, to build and operate hydroponic and aquaponic systems in your home.